Fall is here and so are the celebrations that come along with the time of year. Halloween is quickly approaching, so it’s time to bust out the decorations and plan for your entertaining festivities. Though there’s always some sort of punch or shared beverage at holiday events– there aren’t too many exciting ways to present them.
This year, try a little something new with your drink presentation by creating your very own Pumpkin Keg. It’s easy to do and all your only necessary tools are to hollow out the pumpkin and of course you’ll need a spout to pour the drinks. And of course you will need to finish it off with your drink of choice.
DIY pumpkin keg
What you’ll need:
- 1 large pumpkin
- Sharp carving knife
- Power drill with 3/4-inch drill bit
- Beer faucet and shank kit
- Select a pumpkin with a flat spot on one side for easiest tapping.
- Cut a circle into the top of the pumpkin and remove to create a lid. Clean out the pumpkin well, removing seeds and pulp with your hand. Using a spoon, scrape the inside of the pumpkin so it is very clean, leaving no soft or loose pulp. Let pumpkin sit at room temperature with lid off for one or two days to dry out.
- To insert the beer faucet, remove the nut from the shank. (Do not use the black plastic washer that comes with the kit on the front of the pumpkin. You will get a better seal without it.)
- Using a power drill fitted with a 3/4-inch drill bit, drill a hole into the side of the pumpkin as far down toward the bottom as possible. Screw the beer shank completely into the pumpkin, then screw the nut onto the shank tightly inside the pumpkin.
- Fill pumpkin keg with harvest sangria (recipe below) and replace the lid on pumpkin. (Do not fill keg with cocktail until the last minute as the pumpkin can start to soften and absorb the liquid if left sitting too long.)
Check out this step-by-step tutorial on how to insert the beer shank >>
- 1 (750 mL) bottle dry white wine
- 1 (750 mL) bottle sparkling apple cider or juice
- 8 ounces spiced rum
- 2 ounces triple sec
- Combine all ingredients in a pitcher. Chill.
- Pour into a pumpkin keg, if desired.
- Serve over ice.